Store-bought veggie burgers are brilliant, but can get a bit same-y after a while. Mix up your meat free meals with Love Beet’s recipe for veggie slider burgers, served with horseradish mayo!
Cook: 25 minutes
· 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 1 small red onion, diced
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· 180g Love Beets Cooked Beetroot, chopped into 1cm cubes
· 125g cooked mixed grains such as wheatberries, bulgur wheat and quinoa
· 30g breadcrumbs
· 15g dill, chopped
· 15g flat leaf parsley, chopped
· 6 tbsp mayonnaise
· 3 tbsp creamed horseradish sauce
· 4 Brioche burger buns, cut sides lightly toasted or griddled
· 40g watercress, to serve
· 2 gherkins, sliced, to serve (optional)
Add the beans to a bowl and mash to a paste with some texture remaining.
Add 1 tbsp oil to a frying pan, set over a low-medium heat then add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the Love Beets Cooked Beetroot and set aside to cool completely.
Add the cooled beetroot/onion mix to the mashed beans with the mixed grains, breadcrumbs and herbs and season generously.
Shape the mix into 4 equal sized patties and chill until ready to cook.
Add the mayonnaise and horseradish to a bowl and stir to combine and season to taste.
Brush the patties with the remaining oil and griddle on the barbecue (or fry) until golden and charred on both sides.
Serve the burgers in buns with horseradish mayonnaise, watercress and gherkins.
This isn’t the only meal Love Beets had to show us. Have a look at their recipe for beetroot salsa Mexican Buddha bowls!