The Groovy Food Company has partnered with chef and model, Isaac Carew, to show consumers how best to use the brand’s natural and unrefined ingredients to create delicious meals that are honest in ingredients and happy in taste.
Inspired by one of Isaac’s favourite childhood desserts, this banana cream pie makes the perfect pudding with its crunchy base and smooth creamy topping .
For the base
300g (approx.) 2 packets Golden Oreos
70g The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
For the filling
230g dates, pitted
150g The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut oil
150g The Groovy Food Company Coconut Sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds only
3 bananas, sliced
For the topping
1 banana, sliced
400ml full fat coconut milk, chilled (mix 100g The Groovy Food Company Organic Creamed Coconut with 300ml hot water and blend until combined)
1 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Light Agave Nectar
A handful of Dark chocolate shavings to decorate (or vegan alternative)
1. Line a 20cm pie dish with greaseproof paper.
2. For the base, tip the Oreos, coconut oil and cinnamon into a blender and pulse until the mixture becomes a dough-like consistency.
3. Pour the mixture into the lined pie dish, pressing down firmly into the corners. Pop the dish in the fridge to set for approximately 30 minutes.
4. While the base is chilling, add coconut oil, sugar, vanilla pod seeds and pitted dates to a non-stick pan and bring to the boil for 1 minute, before blitzing in a blender until smooth.
5. Slice three bananas, remove the set base from the fridge and layer the bananas into the base, keeping a few spare to decorate.
6. Pour the filling mixture over the sliced bananas and base and replace in the fridge for a further 45 minutes.
7. To create the tasty topping, pour the full fat coconut milk into a bowl (if using from a tin discarding the watery liquid that sits on top). Add 1 tbsp agave nectar and whip until light and fluffy.
8. Remove the pie from the fridge and add the topping over the filling. Decorate with the remaining banana slices and a few shavings of dark chocolate. Serve immediately (it melts really quickly!!)
Isaac’s skin savours for winter
1. “Exfoliating is key. I exfoliate and moisturise before going to bed using a natural scrub made of The Groovy Food Company’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and Coconut Sugar. The granulated sugar helps scrub off any dry skin and the coconut oil keeps your face hydrated, so your skin doesn’t feel tight after you wash it off.”
2. “Keep your skin moisturised. To keep my skin looking glowy and golden through the cold winter months, I apply coconut oil to keep my skin nourished. It absorbs faster than lotions, isn’t greasy and keeps my skin smooth.”
3. “Avoid using hair spray – it’s sticky, bad for your hair, doesn’t give the desired look and is also bad for your lungs!”