A portion of cooked quinoa (100g) contains:
• 120 calories
• 2g fibre
• 4g protein
• 2g fat
Breakfast Shredded omelette & grains
Total time: 10 minutes
• 1 tbsp oil
• 3 large eggs, beaten
• 100g quinoa
• 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
• 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp tomato pesto
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp chopped chives
1. Cook the quinoa in boiling water for 20 minutes until tender.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, and add the eggs, swirling around to cover the base of the pan. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes until just cooked. Roll up and slice thinly.
3. Stir the onions into the quinoa and add the celery, pesto, vinegar and shredded omelette. Serve scattered with chives.
Lunch Chicken & apricot quinoa salad
Total time: 25 minutes
• 100g quinoa
• 500ml chicken stock
• 2 cooked chicken breasts, skin removed and shredded
• 100g dried apricots, sliced
• 2 small preserved lemons, shredded
• 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
• 1 ripe avocado, diced
• 50g cherry tomatoes, halved
• 2 tbsp French dressing
1. Cook the quinoa in boiling stock for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
2. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir in the quinoa. Season to taste.
Dinner Chunky butternut, quinoa & ham hock broth
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 350g butternut squash, cut into small cubes
• 350g sweet potato, cut into small cubes
• 1.2 litres chicken stock, hot
• ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
• 150g quinoa
• 90g ham hock (pulled)
• 25g pack flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes until pulpy.
2. Add the butternut and sweet potato, stock and chilli, if using. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and ham hock and cook gently for 15 minutes until the vegetables and quinoa are tender.
3. Ladle into bowls, scatter over the parsley and serve.
Recipes and images courtesy of Waitrose.com