5 Moves To Take on Holiday
Want to bring your workout away with you? Try this hotel-friendly session from PT Kristoph Thompson
Do you spend months getting fit for a holiday only to let the body-boosting results whittle away when you reach your destination? Not this year! These moves are designed to be performed in your hotel room, where you’re unlikely to have a lot of time, space or equipment. Complete the exercises one after the other in a circuit format, repeating the entire circuit five times. To increase the challenge, perform a set of star jumps between each of the other four exercises. You’ll soon be sweating!
1. Lunge with pulse
- Begin standing with your fingertips resting gently on your temples. Take a large step forwards with your left leg, then bend your hips and knees to come into a lunge position.
- Straighten your legs slightly, so you start to rise out of the lunge position a little, then immediately return to the lunge.
- Straighten your legs to standing and step back to the start. Repeat on the other side to complete one repetition. Perform 10 repetitions in total.
2. Knee in and kick back
- Start in a high plank position. Lift one foot and bring your knee in towards the back of that arm, lifting your hips and rounding your back slightly as you do so.
- Extend the same leg straight back and up towards the ceiling. As you do so, move your upper body down into the space between your arms, forming a straight line from foot to torso.
- Repeat the movement five times in total, then switch sides and do another five repetitions.
3. Press up with shoulder taps
- Begin in a modified push-up position (on your knees), ensuring your body is in a straight line from your thighs to your head.
- Bend your elbows to lower your chest until it hovers just above the floor. Straighten your arms to return to the start, then lift one hand to tap the opposite shoulder.
- Return the hand to the floor and repeat the entire sequence. This time, lift the other hand to tap the other shoulder. That’s one repetition – perform 12 of them.
4. Hip bridge
- Lie on your back with your arms out to the sides. Bend your knees and place feet flat on the floor.
- Squeeze your glute (bottom) muscles and raise your hips off the floor. Lift one foot and straighten that knee, aiming to keep your hips level.
- Return the foot to the floor and repeat on the other side to complete one repetition. Perform five repetitions in total.
5. 5/star jumps
- Begin standing with your feet hipwidth apart and your arms by your sides.
- Bend your hips and knees slightly then jump up as high as you can, taking your arms and legs out to make a star shape with your body.
- Land softly in the starting position, then repeat. Aim to complete as many repetitions as you can in 30 seconds.